Friday, November 2, 2007

Culture shock

After two leisurely weeks in Paris, landing in New York City is quite the shock to the system. If Paris is the cultured, elegant grande dame of cities, an homage to all that is beautiful and romantic, New York is the raucous, loud, punk kid of cities. Where is my gentle flowing Seine, the ancient reminders of times past and layers of history? All I hear are sirens and traffic, and all I can see are miles of concrete and high-rise buildings reaching towards the sky.

Elly will come in today, and hopefully her excitement and plans and fresh observations will be infectious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to New York! Yes, we are loud and raucous, but there is also a certain 'beauty' to this city, too. When I'm on the subway and I see so many different races and types of people all together, it kind of touches me. It's hard to explain. And at night, it's definitely one of the most the most alive and romantic US cities that I've ever been to. Have fun!! You should check out the marathon on Sunday. Maybe I'll see you there!