Saturday, November 24, 2007

London Rain


Brrr...yesterday was clear and cold in London, but no rain. But I couldn't think of a song called "London is Chilly," so apologies for the misleading post title.

I went to the Courtauld Institute and Galleries yesterday, and I highly recommend it on my list of Things You Must do While in London. Oh, you haven't seen that list yet? Hmm. Perhaps I'll post a summary at the end of this trip. Especially recommended for Elly, because there was an ice-skating rink AND Van Gogh paintings! And for Faye as well, because there were Picassos too. Oh, and some Rubens, for Steph. The Courtauld is quite a gem of a museum, because it's just the right size. And we all know that I love little museums, for my limited arty-attention span and because I can actually see the whole thing and not get stressed out that I might have missed something really important. The galleries are part of the art institute, so each painting has a very helpful explanation with it, so touring it is like a mini art class. Except maybe even better, because I didn't leave halfway through it to go eat Indian food on the lawn with Stephanie. Ah...college. But I digress. Back to the descriptions of the paintings...for example, next to a dreamlike Rousseau painting of a tollgate, the card explained that Rousseau worked as a tollkeeper for many years. Ah! But of course. It's the little things like that. I like to know what I'm looking at and why.

After the museum I walked up the Strand to Covent Garden market, browsed there a bit, was serenaded by some opera singers, then wandered about Leicester Square and all it's touristy theatrey insanity. I popped into my favorite sandwich shop, Pret a Manger, grabbed some lunch, and headed back to the hotel for a nap. I don't know why, but the English sandwiches are the best ever.

Note the Christmas decorations in Covent Garden. Also note the absence of inflatable Santas or light-up deer. Nearly tasteful enough to put me in the Christmas spirit.

It's cold again today but clear and dry, so I'm deciding between the National Gallery and the V & A museums, or catching a theatre matinee....

1 comment:

ssdf said...

heh. we forgive the misnomer. but i'm enjoying the song game...heather nova!

and i don't see why you don't stop for indian half way through...indian food makes everything seem better!

maybe i'll try to leave the house today to get some indian food. stupid holiday shoppers and football game goers. blah.