Thursday, October 18, 2007

Bienvenue a Paris!


IMG_2413.JPG
Originally uploaded by rosebuttons
Well, I'm here. I just thought I'd make a little post to let you all know that i got here safely and all in piece, and with all my pieces of luggage. I'm very overwhelmed and maybe jetlagged and overstimulated and in a bit of disbelief that I'm actually here, so I have nothing witty or profound or interesting to say.

The photo is a view down the street from my window, in my little apartment on rue St. Martin in Le Marais. Le Marais is the 3rd Arrondissement (neighborhood), and it's supposed to be a lively area, known for the gay and Jewish quarters. I think you can be one or the other, you don't have to be gay AND Jewish to be here. Although I am neither, but I'm happy and Jewish-by-association so I'm sure I'll fit right in here. And there seems to lots of falafel shops (bien sur!) so it has to be a good place to be.

My flight was lovely, only 9 hours long. The woman next to me on the plane said, "Ca fait chaud!" and took off her jacket when she sat down, and I nodded in agreement. So then she said, "Vous etes francais?" and in my excitement to pretend to converse in French, I quickly answered, "Oh, un peu!" She gave me a funny look and then turned to look out the window. I realized then that she had simply asked me, "Are you French?" to which I replied happily, "A little bit!" Needless to say, the rest of the flight was spent in silence. Hopefully I will get better at this stuff. I did manage to buy some dinner and go to the grocery store without any more faux pas...

I'm still in shock that I'm actually here...I have to keep reminding myself that I'm on vacation, I don't have anything to be stressed about, there's nowhere I have to be at any one time, and I can just relax. I'm sure that my vacation mindset will set in soon.

There was a transit worker's strike today, shutting down the metro, rail, and bus systems. And the major museums all closed too...not sure why, sympathy maybe? The French love a good strike. Hopefully things open up tomorrow so I can commence by sight-seeing plans. But if not, I shall simply have to wander the city on foot, stopping in lots of cafes, and take a bazillion photos. There are worse things.

No comments: