Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Paris Day Seven


IMG_2974.JPG
Originally uploaded by rosebuttons

Today started out sunny but turned out to be gray and overcast. Nevertheless, I still walked everywhere, although I had intentions of just hopping on the metro to get to the various locations on my agenda for today. However, once I'm out and walking, and I consult the map for the nearest metro stop, I invariably think, "Oh, if I walk just a few more blocks I can get to the next station and I won't have to transfer lines then." And then I walk a few more blocks and I think, "Well, sheesh, now I'm halfway hope, I may as well just keep walking..."

I may have finally mastered the Parisian art of scarf-tying. Not to pat myself on the back, but I wore my cute little pink scarf today and no less than five people stopped me to ask for directions, and then a cigarette, and then a light, and there was an amusing fellow who sat down next to me in a park and struck up a conversation...all in French. So either people were feeling unusually chatty today, or I like to think that my expertly tied scarf fooled them into thinking I was a native... :)


First I went to the Musee Picasso today, which I really liked. For some reason I sort of enjoy the museums that are focused on one artist...it seems more complete and I can concentrate more, not get overstimulated. I'm simple like that I guess. Most of Picasso's most famous works are spread in other museums throughout the world, but it was interesting to see so many others to get a different perspective on his work. The museum is in a grand old mansion, the Hotel Sale. Almost as much as I enjoy the museums, I love wandering through the palatial old homes they are usually in, imagining what it was like living there.


I had a lovely lunch at a cafe after wandering through the Place des Vosges, and lingered over my cafe au lait, then headed down the rue de Rivoli to the Museum of European Photography. I timed my visit perfectly to arrive after 5pm, when the museum is free on Wednesdays. I get so much more satisfaction from something when it's free! I'm just cheap like that I guess.

Finally, I wandered all the way home, bypassing multiple metro stops. It was starting to be rush hour, with everyone heading home from work, so I was getting a little bothered by the crowds. I went around the Centre Pompidou from the south this time, and discovered the sculpture fountain hidden back there that I hadn't seen yet despite all my walks past it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm VERY impressed by your scarf! You always seem to pass yourself off as from somewhere else.. can't remember where people thought you were from in SA!

fayebaye said...

It was the scarf tying techniques, your numbchuck skills, computer hacking skills...

Anonymous said...

I don't even know what numbchuck skills are so I don't think we have them in Britain!!