Saturday, October 27, 2007

Paris Day Ten


The Musee d'Orangerie is a lovely little museum...just the right size. Monet's Water Lilies are displayed there, in two sky-lit oval rooms designed to replicated the feeling of being in his gardens at Giverny. A collection of Monet, Renoir, Picasso, Utrillo, some Modigliani and a few others is in the basement, but with plenty of natural light from new ceiling-level windows. I was able to see the whole museum in under an hour. Again, the perfect size...not too much, just right.

Also, can someone explain to me the purpose of taking a video camera to a museum? Is there anyone at home who wants to sit through someone's home-made hand-held shaky recording of famous paintings? Wouldn't it be easier to buy the book? Is it more authentic and interesting because there are other tourists wandering through the shot? Because I do not feel bad about walking in from of the video cameras. Like every chance that I get.

The museum is in the Jardins des Tuileries, so I wandered through the gardens for a while before attempting to go to Angelina, which is an English-style tea room reputed to serve the best hot chocolate in Paris. However, the line out the door and down the block deterred me, and I decided to renew my hunt for hot chocolate another day. Like a weekday. Like when there are no lines. Not too many photos today, as it was gray and overcast, and hard to manage a camera with one hand and my tissues in another hand. Still have this nasty cold, but thankfully I am my own best nurse and packed a lifetime supply of tylenol and benadryl.

No comments: