Friday, October 19, 2007

Le Louvre a nuit


IMG_2568.JPG
Originally uploaded by rosebuttons
The photo is a shot from inside the IM Pei pyramid at the Louvre, looking up.

Tonight I walked to the Louvre, it turned out to take only 20 minutes. It might have taken a little less but I was lured to the Seine by the sun setting. I was hoping it would be less crowded, being so late in the evening, but there were still gobs of people there. And something that people like to do is photograph themselves in front of famous works of art. First of all, seeing weird tourists pose in front of Winged Victory or the Mona Lisa, I sort of cringe. I mean, seriously, if I'm you're friend of family member, I either want to see the Mona Lisa or I want to see you on holiday. But both in the same shot? Lame. I want to apologize to the Mona LIsa because obviously does not want to be part of your family album. I mean, she's guarded by three guards, a state-of-the-art security system, behind two barriers, and bullet-proof glass. But now she's in your family album too, right next to Auntie Bev and her fanny pack. Leonardo is rolling in his grave. Don't you think your photo of the painting is proof enough that you were really there? Or even a postcard or print from the museum shop? I'm just annoyed because it's annoying waiting for dorky tourists in dorky sweaters to get their big faces out of my shot.

So anyway, I did a quick visit tonight...I was tired and the crowds were getting too much. And it's the Louvre, so it naturally warrants more than one visit while I'm here, so I don't feel bad about doing a quick visit to see a few big things. And seeing the pyramid all lit up at night was pretty cool too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We never stopped laughing at the poses/posers - there's the naff Yanks grinning stupidly and/or with thumps up and/or pointing to said famous works of art but have you seen the sexy Europeans yet?! The pouts some do whilst lying (I kid you not) across some bridge as if selling a sports car are just piss-funny! Our best yet tho' was a Japanese woman ramming her head inbetween the small/inverted pyramids downstairs in the Louvre for her picture!! (as featured in the last scene of Da Vinci Code I think.. minus Tom Hanks head of course!)
Keep the funnies coming..!

rosebuttons said...

Seriously, the first time I saw some "sexy" European sprawled on a bench on a bridge, I thought he was ill or something, and nearly offered to help him. Then I realized that someone was taking his photo and the nauseated pout on his face was supposed to be sexy.