Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Paris, day off


IMG_2969.JPG
Originally uploaded by rosebuttons
While sight-seeing and wandering and exploring are my favorite ways of spending my days, I must admit that it does get a bit tiring. It's sort of like a job, but the best job ev-AH. I wake up in the mornings, brew my coffee and nibble on my pain au chocolat, review my guide books and notes, consult the maps, and the metro map, then set off to see Paris. I come back home about 8 hours later, collapse on the couch, download my photos, then finally relax.

Last night I met up with un vieux ami and we stayed up till the wee hours of the Paris morning, drinking wine and catching up. So after a good lie-in this morning, I decided to take the day off. I didn't open a guide book, I didn't look at my maps. I just wandered through my neighborhood to a falafel place, L'As du Falafel, which got rave reviews in every single guide book, got some lunch, then I just napped and did some real-life things...I cleaned up my apartment, figured out how to use the washing machine, and went to Monoprix down the street to stock up on some things.

Mon dieux! Monoprix! Is awesome! It's a mini-department store, kind of a like a little Target, but of course way cooler, because it's French :) This time I was wise and brought my own shopping bags, because I learned last time, the hard way, that they'll only give you two little plastic bags. Not very handy for shlepping bottles of wine back to the apartment.

Tonight I'm contemplating an evening boat ride on the Seine to the Eiffel Tower to see it all lit up night....or I may just stay in and relax some more. And also, that crazy tiny French washing machine sounds like it's preparing for a space launch so perhaps I should stay here to monitor it...

So, I apologize to you, my dear armchair travelers, that I have no fabulous photos or exciting travel adventures to share with you. I leave you with this, the highlight of my day, my very excellent falafel lunch followed by a tarte framboise. Mmmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rose, are you traveling by yourself? How did you find the apartment that you're staying in? Paris sounds like a dream.

rosebuttons said...

Hi, thanks for reading the blog :) Yep, I am traveling alone, although meeting up with a few friends here and there along the way. I found the apartment on the internet, from a rental agency called Drawbridge to Europe, the link is on the left hand side of the page.