Monday, October 22, 2007

Paris Day Five

Today was probably my most favoritest day in Paris so far (see, I'm so French I can't even speak good English anymore!). Sure, my other days have been filled with delicious pastries, wonderful wine, world famous art works, and exquisite architecture. But today was simple and quiet and I only spent two euros for the pleasure of it :)

My first stop this morning (after braving the post office) was Sacre Coeur, in Montmartre. I've been stalking Sacre Coeur from all the rooftops in Paris, obsessively taking photos of her on the horizon. I'm enamored with the sparkling white dome and turrets, perhaps because it seems so exotic, perhaps Middle Eastern? And I was excited the wander the hilly, curving cobbled streets of Montmartre, the neighborhood surrounding the white church....the same streets wandered by Renoir, Doisneau, Van Gogh, Utrillo, Matisse, Satie...the list is breathtaking.

I took the funicular, a cute litte tram car (like the incline in Pittsburgh, only newer!) to the top of the butte where Sacre Coeur perches. (The adolescent in me still giggles at the word BUTT on signs everywhere. But I immaturely digress.)
And I loved it up there! People lolled about on the steps, a harp player serenaded us, and Paris spread out lazily below in all directions.


I went inside, but unfortunately photography was not allowed in there. Neither was talking, since a mass was in session, so it was prenaturally silent despite the numbers of people in there. It wasn't the biggest or the oldest or the most elaborate churches I've seen, but it just might be my favorite. Maybe because it felt so serene and quiet, maybe because I knew I was perched so high above Paris, maybe the domes. I would even have lit a candle if I was into God and the whole Jesus thing.


I lollygagged on the steps outside for a while, finally heading back down the stairs to find a little cafe for lunch. Then I headed back the base of the butte (*snicker*) to the metro, and hopped on, over the Pere Lachaise Cemetery.

No comments: